Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Mona Lisa's Smile

One of the things I found fascinating about one of this week's readings, Remediation by Bolter and Grusin, is that though it is much newer than some of our other texts it seemed - to me at least - singularly outdated.  The analysis and examination of virtual reality, a term I don't believe I have actually heard
since 1997, dated the text and made me question it's relevance in today's socially networked world. Of course the themes that Bolter and Grusin explore are evergreen in their nature. The ongoing cycle of re-interpreting, ie remediating older media onto new forms is timeless and especially relevant in the digital space. However I found their particular vehicle of analysis distracting. Interestingly I found the work of McLuhan, written some 50 years ago, prior even to the introduction of the personal computer, infinitely more relevant to discussions of emerging media. How interesting?  


The purpose of this post, however, is to explore the goal of remediation. If remediation could be said to have an overarching "goal" it would be to improve upon preceding media in some tangible way. Of course this is a grossly simplified definition that assumes a collective participation on the part of technological innovators worldwide. However, generally when new tech toys are sold to the public marketing claims never fail to tout how they improve upon prior technology. The smartphone improves upon the cell phone, which improved upon the wired phone, which improved upon the telegraph and so on.  Naturally the definition of "improvement" is highly subjective. However remediation in it's attempt to transcribe older media onto new forms often amounts to not much more than an attempt make  it better in some way. Consider for a moment the Mona Lisa.







I'm pretty sure this isn't what came to mind at the mention of Da Vinci's
seminal work. The talking Mona Lisa is an animated interactive piece currently
on display in Singapore's Alive Gallery. The goal of the Alive Gallery is
literally to bring historical works of art to life.  Viewers can actually
interact with the paintings and ask them questions and the paintings will
respond. Here are a few of the questions one can ask Mona Lisa:


Why don't you have any eyebrows?
Why is your smile so popular?
Where were you painted?
What is in the background?


All inquiries that if posed by anyone other than an eight year old talking to an animated object might be considered quite rude.  My question is: Is this an improvement or an abomination? I suppose it depends on whom you ask.  This particular gallery came up for discussion in a previous semester with about half of the class thinking it quite cool, and the other half ready to tar and feather the gallery owners. On the one hand I can see the appeal of making high art accessible to an audience that it has never reached before. However I do have serious concerns as to that audience's ability to appreciate the work if it literally has to be able to talk back to them first.


The traditionalist in me says that paintings aren't supposed to move or talk. (Also I can't help but picture Da Vinci spinning in his grave at what has been done to his work.) But is this interpretation completely lacking in value? Maybe. Maybe not. I can envision a youngster getting some knowledge out of being able to interact with a work of art, like gaining historical context, or learning about the artist. The problem, at least as I see it, comes in that exhibits like this also foster a disrespect for the aura of the work. A large part of the value of the piece lies in it's ambiguity. Who's to say that whomever programs Mona Lisa's response to the question about her smile has any idea why it's so popular? Or if she is even smiling? Art historians have been debating that for centuries. The answer to that particular question could never be anything more than a highly subjective interpretation. I doubt, however, that an audience of small children, will be sophisticated enough to make that distinction for themselves. Moreover, I wonder if in presenting talking works of art we are setting these kids on a path to a lifetime of disregard for the intrinsic value of the piece, and art itself. I'm not so sure that remediation worked here. Yes it did make the art interactive but at what cost? For me one thing is for certain, my kids (when I have them) will never have a conversation with Mona Lisa if I can help it.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting! It seems like the thing to which you object is that the interaction is quite scripted and thus constrains the possibilities for interpretation?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, so I just posted on a super old blog post... sorry. When I first brought up your page, that was the post that appeared. Anyway, that is way interesting about the interactive art display! I agree that it makes it accessible to many people who might have not wanted to go see "an old painting". But, I could see why there would be objections about it. Just like some who refuse to view a movie if they've read the book because they have their own interpretation of the characters etc., I could see others seeing this interactive art as a way to inhibit other's own interpretation of the art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think there's anything inherently wrong in viewing a classic art work in a different framework. I think the new viewpoint allows the public to see the work beyond the original intentions of the painter. But then, that's what are is all about. It's purpose is to function as a window into a paradigm shift of thought and experience. Or it's purpose is nothing at all. It is up to the viewer to decide. "Seeing" an animated Mona Lisa makes us question our original experience. And questioning is a good, good thing.

    ReplyDelete