Tuesday, October 5, 2010

What Is and Isn't New Media (Includes a Case Study Overview)

This week we were tasked with reading Lev Manovich's "The Language of New Media." In the text Manovich explores both the cultural and historical symbols synonymous with new media objects and traces how they came to be such. For instance why is it that the home screen on one's PC is called a "desktop"? Or how it came to be that our work output takes the form and hierarchy of "files"? Well, in a nutshell, this symbology may have more to do with the original function of the computer as a work tool than the media playground that is the PC of today.  However, let's take a brief look at a media object that I know I can't live without and see if it is actually new media as according to Manovich - the iPod, or iTunes as it were.

So beginning on page 27 Manovich enumerates exactly what the properties of new media objects are. They are:

1. Numerical Representation: All new media objects, whether created from scratch on computers or converted from analog media sources, are composed of digital code; they are numerical representations. (p. 27)

2. Modularity: Media elements, be they images, sounds, shapes, or behaviors, are represented as collections of discrete samples (pixels, polygons, voxels, characters, scripts). (p. 30) Because all elements are stored independently, they can be modified at any time without having to change the... (p.30)

3. Automation: The numerical coding of media (principal 1) and the modular structure of a media object (principle 2) allow for the automation of many operations involved in media creation, manipulation, and access. Thus human intentionality can be removed from the creative process, at least in part. (p.32)

4. Variability: A new media object is not something fixed once and for all, but something that can exist in different, potentially infinite versions. (p. 36)

5. Transcoding: Similarly, new media in general can be thought of as consisting of two distinct layers - the "cultural layer" and the "computer layer." (p. 46) Because new media is created on computers, distributed via computers, and stored and archived on computers the logic of a computer can be expected to significantly influence the traditional cultural logic of media; that is , we may expect that the computer layer will affect the cultural layer. (p. 46)

Now, you may be wondering why certain portions of these quotes have been placed in bold type. Well there is a method to my madness. I have combed my iTunes library and put together an an EMAC 6300 playlist consisting of four very distinct songs.  (Also, if you're interested, it can be downloaded on iTunes as an iMix for $3.96.)The tracks are all quite different in their styles, artists and genres. It is my contention that per Manovich's specifications, particularly the sections I have highlighted in bold, only one of these tracks actually fits the definition of "new media."

That's right, just one.  My methodology was simple. First of all I examined the tracks as content and form separately. If we examine them for form alone then all of the songs would qualify as new media simply by virtue of their interface, ie digital tracks in a digital playlist.  However, if we examine the songs as content, paying specific attention to production, then our outcome is quite different.  When I applied Manovich's principles the tracks that failed the new media test did so on the criteria that is presented in bold type.

Once iTunes releases my list publicly I will include a link for preview. However, if you want to preview the tracks individually they are:

Symphony No.3 in E-flat Major - Artist: Nicolaus Esterhazy Sinfonia, composed by Beethoven
One Step Beyond -  Artist: Karsh Kale
Stay By My Side (Acoustic) - Artist: Mishka
Blue In Green - Artist: Miles Davis

In the meantime, feel free to ruminate on the essence of musical composition in the digital age.

UPDATE: Here is a link to the iTunes iMix. EMAC 6300 New Media Objects Discussion Playlist

2nd UPDATE: Here is a link to my Prezi. Music and New Media: A Critical Look at Manovich's Criteria

6 comments:

  1. This is awesome! I'm SOOO sad I missed this awesome presentation. I loved your take on new media as it relates to music. I had the same thought you did as I was reading if you could separate the process from the end result claiming one to be new or old or vice versa. I think it would depend on what it was, but I think the argument could be made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is a really creative idea to apply your ideas to technology, especially with iTunes being such a staple in the technology and music industry. I really enjoyed how you not only took the time to examine the tracks as content and form separately but to also make the mix available for purchase on iTunes! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you guys for your comments! One of my favorite things to do is examine typical media objects that we commonly take for granted as new media and see if indeed they really are. I find that often, particularly when content is evaluated separately from form, a lot of what we consider new media isn't all that new. (However that doesn't neccessarily preclude it from being entertaining or fascinating!) I guess as an erstwhile writer I may be a little content obsessed at times but I like to examine the evolution of media in all its various forms art, pop culture, and even music. I'm really glad you guys enjoyed the presentation. Feel free to remix my Prezi any way you see fit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wanted to stop by and say you did a really great job on your presentation last week. I've been thinking about our discussion in class and how difficult it was for us to define some of the terms, esp. transcoding. I'm still working through the readings, trying to define terms that are at once intuitive and complicated, but I have a better grasp on "The Language of New Media" because of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Meagan! I'm so glad that you got a better understanding from my presentation. Intuitive and complicated is exactly how I would describe "transcoding."

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed your presentation. You picked a medium that made the example so much easier to understand. I tend to learn better when examples are provided, and so I thank you again for being so created. Plus, I loved your music selections!!!

    ReplyDelete